Thursday, September 25, 2008

Learning

I am lucky to work in a company, which holds office for only 4 days a week. With this kind of schedule, I became interested in looking for some activity/ies on which I can use my free time. I ended up applying in a tutorial center and was been accepted. The tutorial sessions are done in the house of the student.

My first project came in November 2006; this only lasted for a week. I was tasked to assist a grade 3 half-British student to review her lessons in preparation for the week-long periodical exam. I had no difficulties on teaching her the lessons; the problem is her mood, but what can you expect from a 9-yr old girl who has been in class the whole day and then has to read, write, and recite the lessons again and again for another hour at home. She was exhausted and so do I; but I have to maintain my patience, it was the most challenging part of it. I am glad that I survived!

The next assignment was in the middle of 2007. My student was a grade 7 studying in De La Salle Zobel. The name of the school gave me a little doubt of myself. Can I do it? Based on my experience with the first student, lessons nowadays are way, way in advance than what I have studied during my elementary years (more than 10 yrs ago!). With the school he is in, there is no doubt that lessons are not simple, and so I prepared myself for complicated tutorial session with him. My first week was like a do-or-die game, I almost gave up. I’m working in Ortigas and he’s living in Manila, I have to rush to their house after office, catching the MRT and LRT trips to hit the 5:30 schedule. Another challenge for me is the lesson, which indeed is tricky and complicated; and do I still have to emphasize that the student is an achiever, smart and very eager to learn more. I thought of giving up but I accepted the challenge, why not? Aside from the challenges, the only problem that I have encountered is my time. There were days that I was late, and he’s no longer in the mood to study.

After some time, I got used with my new routine. In an instant, I became a student again, studying lessons, especially in Science: the subject matter that hated me ever since! There were times that he’s the one teaching me the lesson, Science is his forte. But with Mathematics, I am the one in charge. I missed solving problems and answering equations, and I really enjoyed doing it again. I think one thing that made our tutorials active is because we complement; I have helped him in his homework because he helped me.

I was his tutor for 8 months, covering his last school year in elementary. It was during those days that I really felt like a student all over again: studying and reviewing for the exam and anticipating for its results, cramming for the project that has to be submitted the next day, etc. Eight months is long enough for me to be affected on anything related to him and his studies. I felt proud whenever he got high grades; and sorry if there is a few not so high grade. I also somehow prayed for him to be one of the graduating honor students. Also, eight months has been long enough for me to be relaxed on our sessions, listening to his and his sister’s stories on what had happened in school that day and other things. It was really fun and a great learning experience for me. If I have to look back on those days, I won’t see the troubles that I have encountered with the MRT and LRT trips, but what would be very visible are the memories of learning and sharing stories with him and his sister. I am glad to have that chance meeting them. I wish them success on whatever path that they will choose; and I hope to share stories with them again.

No comments: