Thursday, September 18, 2008

MY past Christmas(es)

Like many other individuals, Christmas is special for me. Whenever Christmas season comes near, I always feel a strange feeling, which I can’t really figure out. Maybe it is because I was born in –ber months, 106 days before Christmas; and so I am considering the 1st day of the 1st –ber month as the start of the Christmas season. It’s 98 days before Christmas! I can’t help but look back on my past 23 Christmas seasons.

How can I forget the small old Christmas tree (about 18 inches) and the small bells & balls dangling on its branches. It was the Christmas decoration displayed on the top of the old BW television set, which also serves as a cabinet in our “living” area. Along with that Christmas tree, is the poinsettia “vine” together with the Christmas light, surrounding the drift wood placed in the corner. There is also this shiny, “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year” that dances with the wind. It was fastened at the wall behind the TV set. The trio Christmas decors have been the usual view in our home every Holiday Season. Of the three, the drift wood is the most special because it always bears socks the night before Christmas and so Santa Clause is paying him a visit every Christmas eve.

I was in high school, when I have completed the Simbang Gabi for the first time. I was able to woke up early and attend the mass before going to school. I was really happy and fulfilled because I was able to complete the 9 masses. It was also during that time that every house is required to put a ‘star’ (parol) in the front yard, and if I was not mistaken, we had the biggest ‘star’!

Christmas 1997: I was in 1st yr high school, my sister and I spent Christmas here in Manila. I have experienced for the first time to be awake on Christmas Eve and have a Noche Buena. After the mass, we went to the mall. Tita Bell let us choose a pair of slippers and a blouse as her gift. Well, what is with the color orange? My sister and I have both chosen a blouse with orange&white, and the slippers… also orange. [By the way, my sister’s slippers turned into blackish orange as she has still used it until 2 yrs ago]. We went back home by ourselves, 3 days after Christmas. We are still using the Candelaria route that time, and because it was our first time to travel alone, we get off the bus in the middle of the bridge, kumusta naman yun! and so we have to walk a few meters to reach the jeepney terminal.

Hmmm… how about Christmas parties? The most unforgettable one is when I was in Grade 1, I was the only one who’s wearing the school uniform in our class; huhuhu… sad… but I can no longer remember the reason why. Another significant one is in 2005; it was the first and last block 9(A) Christmas party that I have attended. We did the gathered in Maragondon Cavite, I enjoyed playing cards, in between, hahaha.. I lost in most of the rounds and I paid out more or less 50 pesos! And before I forgot, my 4 Christmas(es) in UP Manila… I never missed the Oblation Run, hahaha! and I have joined in the Lantern Parade once.

It was also during the Christmas season of 2006, when I traveled by plane for the first time. We went to Bacolod. It was such a memorable experience. Then guess what? After two years, I’ll be taking a trip again by plane… We are going to… secret! Hmph! I will get my passport first!

But my Christmas seasons do not all have cheerful memories. As far as I can remember, I already have few sorrowful Christmas seasons. *****Christmas 1996: An uncle very close to us died 4 days before Christmas. It was really a heartbreaking holiday season for our family and relatives. *****Christmas 2001: I was still mourning for the death of our grandmother, who passed away August 2001. Also, Christmas season will never be the same because she’s no longer with us. Her birthday is December 28, and we had only celebrated her birthday twice or thrice because we are not aware of her birthdate. Whenever we asked her, she’ll reply: mayayakir din yun! We found out about her birthdate through her voter’s ID. I am personally saddened by her early death, (she died at the age of 90, but for me, it is still a little early), because I haven’t fulfilled my promise when she left; I was just starting then to ascend on my stepping stone to reach my goals. Seven years after she left, I hope that she is pleased on my way of fulfilling that promise, I may now be just in the mid of fulfilling it but I’ll do my best to fully accomplished it. Wherever she may be now, I hope that she is happy on how we are now. *****Christmas 2003: My high school Math teacher died few days after Christmas. I was one of those who were really affected. He is one of the very few people who have shown trust and confidence in me. He may not know it, but he had given me encouragement to at least believe that I can. For a student like me, who have not been part of the high school’s honor roll list, his encouragements has motivated me a lot and have helped me land to the UPCAT passers’ list. Many of us his students have been very affected by his departure.

Well, I have a long, long way to go… I may still have another more or less three 23 Christmas seasons and I hope to have happier holiday seasons in the future!
ADVANCE MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, sis! sure, you have to get your passport first before your next flight :-) regarding nanay, of course, she sure is proud of how far you've come in your life - your achievements, your other goals yet to materialize, your being "ate," and so many other things. :-) and well, the color orange? gaya-gaya ka kasi hahaha..just kidding. probably it was the "in" color that christmas.

btw, i still get to use my dirty, orange slippers. you can still find it there, somewhere..

congratulations sa blog mo! i'll tell your friends about this..well, i'll tell mhike..haha.. kudos!!! mwah!